Thursday, September 21, 2006

I'm a CURMUDGEON

I've recently decided I'm a curmudgeon and I've also decided to become comfortable and proud of this condition. I'm almost 46 do I really still have to be a 'team player' when I've been on the team so long I could either be the bloody head coach or own the team? Do I 'have' to defer to 'youngsters' just out of college who think their degree beats out 26 years of experience? Do they really think they're my equal just because we're in the same profession? Don't 'I' deserve at least some respect for street cred, office cred, patient cred? Hell, yes!
Do I strut around like a diva, damn no. Have I ever...nay. Can I learn something from the youngster in question....yes. But shift the attitude, age does not equal a slow decaying of the brain cells (even if everything else seems to be drooping, wobbling and blurring at an unheard of speed.)
Yes, I've reached that age where I now utter those pathetic words, "I didn't do that when I was that age!" and "Kids, Teen-agers, Young-adults (insert appropriate term) are not like they used to be." Of course this is meant to mean they're disrespectful, lazy and arrogant and they are. Of course this also does not apply to ones own children who are gems, brilliant, creative, sparkling and different than the rest of the population...this should go without saying as it applies to anyone reading this.
Still, it seems unless I'm dealing with my patients one on one, my boss, one on one or my colleagues one on one, I'm ready to tear the roof off. Meaning...please don't make me sit through anything that remotely appears like an office meeting or a parent/teacher(s) conference. This will only inflame me for at least a week. I do not want to listen to some more BS (actually isn't it the same BS I heard at the last office meeting, the last conference, and the one before that?) that attempts to make 'you' sound intelligent and profound, which ultimately just turns into a bitch session anyway...like it did the last time and the time before, like it does every single time. I don't want to listen to you....because you don't want to listen to me...and I'm the only one there who knows what they're talking about! Why, or what has happened in my life where I feel like I'm always ranting?
What ever it is, let this be known, you don't have to be a young adult to be arrogant and flip. You can be 46 and a curmudgeon!

1 comment:

Wen said...

Look I go and spell it wrong...but I'll leave it like that since it is so me!