Wednesday, December 19, 2007

DO I NEED ONE

Holidays are large and expansive and tend to be all inclusive. They involve intense amounts of running around finding the perfect presents.
Actually, who am I kidding, at this point the perfect presents only apply to the critical people in my life.
(I'm not seriously stupid, I'm not going to admit who they are on my blog.)
Birthday..huge. I have time to shop for the "perfect" present. Christmas, not so much.
My boys will be happy even though they've figured out what they're getting.
Gillian, aka (according to those boys "the strange lady in Australia" seems happy with her fake 16thc bowl.
When I know I have to score I score.
But I have 16 nieces and nephews most over the age of 11 and they want cash and I'm not handing it out, why -- because parents ultimately complain that you haven't given their child enough whereas with a gift...you get my meaning.
This is why I'm quite starting to loathe the holidays.
Favorites (so you don't think I'm a total Scrooge): My boys, overseas packages are turning into one of the highlights of my season and along the way I do manage to hit some killer, spot on gifts, that manage the Oooos and Ahhhs.
I just wish I could capture "some" (those quote are for my friend Nanci) of the joys of less hectic holidays.
I realize this isn't going to happen.
I realize the wishing doesn't come true. I am a cynic.
I wish that someone (in my family) would just take the time to go to a bookstore (since I get so few gifts these days, though they've tended to be major this year so I'm not truly complaining) and take a bloody chance and buy me books by the half dozen. Lots of them!
This would make me happy.
I seriously don't need the big stuff...I like it, but I think it would be fun if someone just browsed (beyond the bestsellers) and picked up random things they thought I might like...total killer!
And there is nothing I would like better than to do the same for everyone in my life...Like that would work.
I told you I'm a cynic.

Seriously, do you come here for joy.

Wen

3 comments:

Nanci said...

So let me guess, I get a shout out and quotation marks for Christmas? LOL

I think you're doing just fine...

Anonymous said...

Nanci's entirely wrong. You don't do fine - you do brilliantly. When I get a parcel from you I have to take days over it so each item can get its ooh and aah quota. Sometimes I take so long over it I forget to email and say I got it and how wonderful it is, which means you only get to hear a small portion of the oohing and aahing. Mind you, this last package was particularly wonderful: the coffee cup, the coin, ... everything. And it came at a super-bad time, too, and made me happier.

Your sons amuse me no end. I need a card that affirms I'm "the strange lady in Australia" and one from you that they like the parcels I send you, despite my status :).

Wen said...

Nanci, if I'm doing fine, the world is either as it should be...or the we're screwed..LOL.

Gillian, bless your heart. Now, if you want those boys to send you a card I do believe they have been well and truly bribed by your many packages (even though Christofer is at the moment brilliantly dazzled by Susan's chicken...which in case you didn't know flys fantasticaly across a room and makes a great splat when it hits the wall...life is sooo sweet..sigh and muffled giggle) that I shall attempt to make them send one to you.